One thing almost everyone will agree on, a mug of Glühwein makes things feel Christmassy. You will find Glühwein stalls at every German Christmas Market, and they are often crowded with customers hoping to warm their tummies and their toes. This traditional German Gluhwein Recipe is easy to make at home. Red wine, delicious spices like cinnamon and allspice, and just a hint of orange and some sugar for sweetness. Don’t let it boil! Just an easy simmer, and before you know it, you will be in the Holiday Spirit.
Authentic German Glühwein Recipe
- Medium pot
- 1 750 ml Bottle Red Wine I like a hearty Cabernet, but a lighter Merlot will work. Do not use anything expensive, but not cheap either... stick in the middle
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- 1-3 oz. Brandy I like Asbach.
- 1 sliced Orange
- 4 Cinnamon Sticks
- 6-8 whole Cloves
- 8-10 whole Allspice Berries
- 1-2 whole Star Anise (optional)
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar Start here... taste when it's done to see if you need more
- Set a medium large pot on the stove. Add Wine, Orange Juice and Brandy.
- Turn on heat to LOW
- Add rest of ingredients - spices, orange slices and sugar
- Simmer 30 minutes. DO NOT LET BOIL
- Taste for Sweetness. If you like it sweeter, add more sugar and taste again.
Start with the basic recipe, then adjust to your taste. This recipe can be doubled or tripled. You are only limited by the size of the pot.