Gebrannte Mandeln Recipe (German Sugared Almonds
Sugar Crusted Roasted Almonds are a crunchy sweet snack at Christmas Markets. These are easy to make at home on your stove top.
- Heavy Duty Pot - I use a Dutch Oven
- Parchment Paper
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract or 2 tsp Vanilla Sugar
- 1 tsp gr. Cinnamon
- 2 cups RAW Almonds Skin on
- Have all of your tools and ingredients ready to go. Once you start... you can't really stop, or you could burn the almonds.
- Cover a cookie sheet with Parchment Paper
- In a HEAVY Pot or larger saucepan (not non-stick), combine water, 1 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook over heavy heat while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Bring to a Boil
- Add the Almonds
- Cook the Almonds in the boiling sugar water over high heat, stirring CONSTANTLY.
- The water will boil off, and the almonds will be left looking like they are coated in powder. (This could take a a few minutes, don't rush, it will happen)
- Lower the heat to medium, and keep stirring the almonds. The sugar will melt again, and they will start to look shiny. (This is the most frustrating part. You think it will never happen, and then suddenly it does.)
- Lower the heat again, and add the 1/2 cup sugar plus vanilla sugar or vanilla extract.
- Stir and stir and stir until the Almonds go through their powder sugar looking phase, and start to go shiny again. It takes time, but it will happen. Just keep stirring.
- When they are shiny with a brown coat of melted sugar with some crunchy sugary bits, pour them out onto the prepared pan.
- Use the wooden spoon, and maybe another spoon to separate them out on the pan (if you leave a big lump, it will stick that way.)
- Enjoy warm, or let cool for later.
I can not emphasize enough... Have all of your ingredients and all of your tools READY and close at hand before you start. Store the Gebrannte Mandeln AIR TIGHT (or they get sticky)
German Gebrannte Mandeln, roasted and sugared Almonds, are a sweet and crunchy snack to munch out of a paper cone while wandering through the German Christmas markets, especially if they are still warm! Fortunately, they are easy to make! This recipe doesn’t require special equipment or rare ingredients… you just need to WATCH so that the sugar and nuts don’t burn!
These Sugared Almonds will keep for a week or so in an airtight container. And it’s easy to make extra for a sweet gift!
I like them with Cinnamon, but if you are a purist, you can leave it out of the recipe.
One thought on “Gebrannte Mandeln Recipe”
Why do you specify “not non-stick”?