Traditional German Glühwein Recipe- German Mulled Wine For a Cold Evening
I love to make up this Traditional German Gluhwein Recipe during the Holiday season rather then going to Costa Coffee or Starbucks for a cup of coffee. It smells good… it tastes good…. it SCREAMS Christmas in my ear…(oh wait… that’s the Kids…) (actually, a Gluhwein for mommy might make the screaming kids just a teeny bit more tolerable)
(that was a joke.)
BTW. the amount of sugar you need to add is in inverse proportion to how good the wine it…. which means…. if you use the cheap stuff, you are going to need a lot of sugar…. Taste it.
This is not to say that you should pull out an expensive bottle of wine… mid-range is fine.
Traditional German Gluhwein Recipe
German Glühwein Recipe- German Mulled Wine
- 2 Bottles of Red Wine 750 ml each
- 1 cups Granulated Sugar. Start with 1 cup... add more if needed
- 8 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Oranges- Sliced
- a bunch of whole cloves dozen?
- whole allspice if you have it (1 Tbl)
- 2-3 Star Anise
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/4- 1/2 cup of brandy optional, but recommended
- Pull out a nice big pot....set it on the stove.
- Pour the wine into the pot, and set the flame to LOW. (don't boil it!! )
- Add the granulated Sugar
- Slice the oranges, then stick the cloves into the orange slices, and into the wine they go
- Put the cinnamon sticks in too... and the Star Anise if you like, and allspice pods if you have them.
- Add the Orange juice
- and if you want... the brandy
- Simmer... stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. (don't let it boil!!)
- Add Sugar if needed
- Play with it some more if you want
- Now .... enjoy....
- You can buy Spice Mixes to add to your wine, to make it easier...
Traditional German Glühwein Spices
Want to take a shortcut? Just add these spices to the Wine… add sugar as needed.
German Mulled Wine Spice Mix Gluhwein – Mulling Spices – 20 x 0.5Oz Sachets / 20 x 1.5g Sachets – Glühwein Gewürz by Meßmer – Sold by Helen’s Own – with Full English Recipe BookletGlühFix – Mixed Spices for Mulled Wine (20 Teebags)
Want to take your Gluhwein experience to the next level, add FLAMES! The Feuerzangenbowle is a bowl that holds the a burning Rum-Soaked Sugar Cone over the Gluhwein. It’s beautiful and potent.
Find it HERE—> Feuerzangenbowle
German Glühwein Mugs
German Gluhwein mugs are perfect for keeping your hands warm while sipping Gluhwein! If you go to a German Christmas Market, you will get your Gluhwein in one of these collectible mugs. Start your own collection, or add to it with these…
These are all the mugs I brought home from my Christmas Market trip in 2019 (I may or may not have a problem)