Hugo Drink Recipe- Learn How to make this Refreshing Cocktail
Looking for a refreshing way to beat the heat? This Hugo drink recipe is simple enough for even the most inexperienced home bartender to make… yet it’s delightfully tasty. Think of it as a variation on a Mojito or a Wine Spritzer. The Hugo uses sparkling wine, mint, and Elderflower Syrup. It’s the Elderflower that imparts a special flavor and sets this drink apart from the ordinary. You can make the Hugo even more refreshing by adding sparkling water to the mix, or bump up the alcohol by replacing the Elderflower Syrup with St Germain, an Elderflower liqueur. Whatever you choose, make a pitcher, because everyone is going to want to share it with you!
The Hugo Spritz is the Number One drink of Summer 2023!
Hugo Drink History
The Hugo first made an appearance at the San Zano cocktail bar in Naturno, Italy. This South Tyrolean town sits near the border of Austria, and is known for its Riesling wines and remarkable views of the Alps. Bartender Roland Gruber had apparently made one too many Spritz’s for the many tourists in town, so he came up with a refreshing alternative. The Hugo. By 2009, the recipe was popping up on menus in Austria, and by 2011 it was common in Munich. Most telling… in 2012, Der Spiegel wrote an article on Hugomania! Once you try one, you will understand why people are so crazy for this delightful drink.
Hugo Drink Recipe
- 4-5 Fresh Mint Leaves
- few Ice Cubes
- 2 Teaspoons Elderflower Syrup or St Germain Liqueur
- 1 cup Prosecco or Sparkling Wine
- 1 slice Lemon
- Put the Mint leaves and a ice cubes in a glass. (Traditionally, the drink is served in a wine glass, but I used a regular glass)Muddle the mint with the ice.... (Muddle means to crush it a bit so that the aroma is released... you don't need to mangle the leaves, just crush. Use a spoon or a muddling tool)
- Add the Elderflower Syrup (or if you are looking for an alcoholic BOOST, add St. Germain liqueur)
- Add the Prosecco or Sparkling Wine.
- Squeeze a lemon slice over the drink and serve.
photo by Karen Lodder
Looking for more German Drink Recipes?
Sommer,Sonne,Sangria,die köstliche Weinbowle: Erfrischende Rezepte: Sangria die leckere Weinbowle! Kalte Getränke selber machen (German Edition)Cocktailklassiker: Die besten Rezepte für Ihre Party von Absinth Poe bis Zombie (German Edition)