Kalter Hund Recipe – A Delicious No Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake
This Kalter Hund Recipe is actually a fairly simple no-bake cake, and not the “Cold Dog” that the name implies….Layers of rich butter cookies and delicious chocolate are assembled (not baked) in a loaf pan… and then it’s stuck in the refrigerator for a few hours. Slice and serve… and wait for the applause.
As a special treat cake Kalter Hund often gets served to children in Germany (especially at a birthday party), but much like all treats, adults love it too. (If you’d like to adjust this cake for a more adult palate, add a bit of Rum to the mixture.)
I still remember watching my mom assemble this delicious cake … and then waiting for it to be solid enough to eat. The chocolate melts in your mouth, and the biscuits add a bit of crunch.
But beware… it is RICH. You don’t need a thick slice. I love it with a hot cup of coffee.
And yes, you do need to use the coconut fat (also known as Palmin), it makes the texture perfect. Without it, the chocolate just gets too hard.
Kalter Hund Recipe
Kalter Hund Recipe – No Bake Chocolate Biscuit Cake
- 200 grams 1 pkg. Butter Biscuits Leibnitz is best
- 150 grams Dark Chocolate
- 450 grams Milk Chocolate
- 150 grams of [Coconut Fat Palmin
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbl. Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbl Rum optional
- Line your loaf pan with aluminum foil.
- Break the Chocolate into small pieces.
- Melt the chocolates and coconut fat together in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly.
- When it's all melted, add the cream, sugar and vanilla... stir until smooth.
- If you want to add Rum, now is the time...pour it in the chocolate mixture... stir until smooth.
- Open your package of biscuits.
- Spread a thin layer of chocolate over the bottom of the pan (about 1/4 inch)
- Layer biscuits across the chocolate... you don't want the biscuits to touch the sides!
- Spread chocolate across the biscuits
- Layer more biscuits across the chocolate
- Repeat until you fill up the loaf pan... or run out of chocolate.
- Make sure you end on a CHOCOLATE LAYER!
- Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Take out of the fridge... pull the plastic wrap off of it, and turn it over onto a rectangular plate.
- Carefully peel the foil off of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
Buy All the Ingredients
Cookies, Palmin and Chocolate are the main ingredients! You need about 2/3 of a package to make 1 recipe… so if you buy 2, freeze the extra, and you can make 2 more cakes later….
Making this No Bake Cake is EASY
Pour the melted chocolate into the foil lined loaf pan.
Top with cookies.
You can tuck in Broken pieces too…..
End with Chocolate… cover with plastic wrap
Refrigerate 3 hours
Turn out onto a cake plate or cutting board