Marianne’s Story- A Child Refugee from Stettin Tells her Story

Recently, I received an email from Jane with her mother’s story. This could be my mother’s story… it could be the story told by far too many of our Mothers, Grandmothers, and Aunts. It’s the story of too many children during wartime. At the end of the war, Marianne Kriegbaum was sent west, to “safety”, in order to escape the approaching Russian Army. She will tell you the what happened in her own words.

I’ve posted both the original German, and the translation. Jane told me she wept while writing it. I have tears in my eyes even now.

I want to thank both Jane and Frau Marianne Keller, from the bottom of my heart, for sharing this story with us. This is part of our past, and should not be forgotten.

(I inserted a map at the end of the story, so you can get an idea where all of this took place)

This is Marianne’s story.

Marianne's StoryI, Marianne Keller, née Kriegbaum, was born on 12 January 1933 in Stettin (today Szczecin, Poland). I went to the Carl-Loewe Girls’ School there. In 1943 the bomb attacks on Stettin increased and many schools were evacuated to the island of Rügen. There I was in a KLV-location. (Kinderlandverwanderung) and lived until April 1945, a beautiful childhood. In addition to school lessons, we had a lot of sports, leisure in nature, singing, theater games and were educated in the ideology of our leader Adolf Hitler.

At the end of April 1945, we were to be sent to Denmark in order to protect us from the approaching Russians. This action was successful, however, and I have described my experiences after leaving Sellin / Ruegen in the attached story.

My husband, Horst Keller, had also been evacuated with his school on Ruegen and had the same experience. He emigrated to the United States in 1951 and returned to Germany as a US Air Force occupying soldier. We married in 1955 in Wiesbaden. These experiences of our childhood have very much connected us.

The attached pictures are the only ones I have.

My Story

From 1943-1945 I was in a KLV-camp (Kinderlandverschickung Camp) in Sellin on Rügen. On April 20, 1945, we celebrated Adolf Hitler’s birthday with flags and songs and a big parade on the sports field. We firmly believed in the final victory and the miracle weapons V1 and V2. Shortly afterwards, we were informed that a transport was being assembled to take us to Denmark. The Fuhrer wanted us, the future of Germany, to be safe.

child refugee from stettin

A Photo of all the Girls, Marianne is the first one on the left, sitting

The train was supposed to bring us to Rostock, and then we would be taken to Denmark by ship. We were so unaware. We were all on average 12 years old.

Later, I learned that the Russian Army was already close to the Oder River, and would arrive as early as January, and that is why I had not had received a letter from my mother since January, who was evacuated to Pomerania with my two smaller siblings. I had not heard from my father, who fought on the eastern front, for much longer.

child refugee from stettin

The city of Stettin, now in Poland

For us, travel was an adventure. When our train had crossed the Rügendamm, it stopped short. Some of the older girls, about sixteen got out, and after a while a girl with whom I was a friend came to tell me at the window, “Mariannchen, I think it’s all over, we’ve lost the war.” I can still feel the bewilderment that I felt then. How could she say that? They could be seen, and reported as traitors. She was my friend. How could she have such thoughts and say them? It shook me so much. So firmly I had glorified the final victory.

The stop was explained; a hospital train had the right of way, which we of course understood.

Then we went slowly and in the middle of the forest between Gelbensande and Rövershagen, I still see the signs before my eyes, our train stopped again. We had the order not to get out, but we looked out the window to see what was going on outside. There was excitement, uncertainty, fear. But we were with our instructors and on the way to Denmark. Adolf Hitler wanted to keep us safe, so we did not worry.

Suddenly my cousin, who was also in Sellin in a KLV camp, came by in my compartment window. He was also on the transport and was glad to have found me. He was 14 years old and very open-minded and self-confident. He wanted to know what was going on, and wanted to let me know. He came back and told us that the locomotive was gone, because it would be needed for a military train.

Suddenly, the planes came and shot at our train. It was decided that we leave the train. We left all luggage in it and fled into the forest. There we threw ourselves on the ground because again the airplanes came and shot at us. Suddenly, I saw a lot of men in black and white striped outfits with a number on their backs who were also hiding. I was terribly afraid, but they did not do anything to us.

When the airplanes were gone, our teacher said we should head towards the coast because the Russians were approaching. We ran out of fear, one behind the other, afraid of the Russians. My rolled up wool blanket (everyone had got one, and we were allowed to take it with us) fell apart, I stumbled and cried loudly, because I realized how I was falling behind the others.

Suddenly my cousin appeared next to me. He said, “Marianne, come with us, the Russians are coming, we will make it through to the west. I’ll get something to eat, I’ll protect you, come with us. ”
He was on the run with two other boys. But I wanted to stay with my camp mates. He tried to persuade me, but I cried, I wanted to go to Denmark.

He quickly rolled my blanket, took me by the hand and ran with me until I was back with the other girls. Then he disappeared with the other boys in the woods, heading west.

child refugee from stettin

The Sea bridge in Sellin

Before it grew dark, we searched for a night’s shelter, found a barn to sleep in. There we were waiting anxiously for what might happen. Many girls were crying and the older girls were looking for hiding places. Nothing happened at night. The next morning, we reached Gral-Mueritz on the east coast. But there was no ship in sight. We moved into an abandoned Spa Hotel and everyone looked for a place on the floor to rest. There we sat on our blankets and waited for terrible atrocities of the Russians.

It was a beautiful day, warm and sunny and I went to the garden, and then I saw it coming. As I write this, I have heart palpitations, and a very dry throat. Tanks and riding on top of them, Russians with rifles ready to attack. I see the big red star in front of me. I ducked a little behind a bush and prayed that they would not see me and shoot me. When the last tank passed by, I ran back into the house where everyone else was just as afraid. A little later, the Russians came into the house and looked at everything. I cannot describe what that felt like. They went again without bothering a hair on anyone’s head, and in the evening they came back with huge kettles full of soup and bread for us. We could hardly understand it, but the fear remained.

When the war was over, the teachers told us that we should not stay in Gral-Müritz. Anyone who was not a resident should return to where they came from.We were all from Stettin, so we should go back to Stettin. But how to get there?

This started the real tragedy of this “rescue transport”.

We made our way to the railway track. Perhaps a train would come by. But first it was walk, without food, without drinking. Where would the train come from? I do not remember how long we were on the road. At some point a freight train took us to Stettin. I cannot really remember thirst, but I cried because I was so hungry. My stomach ached and I did not know where my parents and siblings were. But I was still in the company of my camp mates. In a suburb of Stettin, the journey ended. There was a huge crowd at the station, they were all over the street and on the sides, homeless, and hungry like us. On one corner stood the Red Cross with boiled soup made of potato peels and water in large kettles. There were really only potato peelings and water, but all stood to get something. If you have never been starving, you do not know how good this can taste.

child refugee from stettin

The Teachers from the KLV-Lager

Then our teachers were no longer there. One of our camp leaders told us, “You know where you live, try to get there. A few girls, who had been bombed out like me and had no home, stayed with the camp leader and she led us through the city, over debris and looking for a place to stay.

Suddenly we were in a neighborhood that seemed familiar to me. An aunt lived there, whom we had often visited and I remembered the way there, and the neighborhood. In that neighborhood, there was an institution for the mentally ill, and the leader took us there. The buildings were all empty, and we looked for one that was standing apart, then and went up to the top floor. There, under the roof, we lay down on the bare ground. There were 2 bunk beds, but we were still about 10 girls. We lay there, the war was over, but what would happen to us now? We cried a lot, from hunger and homesickness.

Some girls went to find relatives and did not come back. The Institution was near an old allotment, and we went there every day and searched the arbors for something edible. There were also many Poles there, and we were always very scared and hiding. Once after hiding myself in a pile of straw I looked at the area, and I suddenly knew how to go to find my aunt’s house. I got up, and was on the right street.

My heart pounded as I rang the bell. Dear God, let her still live, let her be there, I had no one else in the world and I felt so alone. The window on the first floor opened and the familiar face of my Aunt Emilie looked out. When I called her name, she could not believe who was standing there. I must have looked terrible. I had first to tell where I came from, where the other family members are. I only knew that my big sister had driven from KLV camp to Lassan near Anklam in Vorpommern in mid-April. More I did not know. We both wept bitterly. Then she gave me something to eat, and I knew again how it feels to have food in my belly. She was very concerned for me, and she told me why I could not stay with her even though she wanted to take care of me. She worked all week with the Poles as cook, and was only home on Sunday. So, I would be all alone in the house. Often the Poles or Russians would come and search the houses. They would take me with them, and then no one would know where I was. She was very sad, but I could understand that, and would have been afraid to be alone there anyway. She told me to come back on Sunday to eat, she also gave me food. I was unhappy, but made it through the week. Then I took my girlfriend with me, so she should eat well. During the week, we went through the gardens and picked green, unripe apples, unripe currants, sometimes we found moldy bread, which we also ate. Meanwhile, we had all the scabies and lice.

child refugee from stettin

The smaller boy to the left of the tall blond boy is Marianne’s husband,

Then I became seriously ill. I remember I was lying on a bunk and someone was making me a compress. I must have had a high fever. I could only make it to my aunt’s house one more time, then I couldn’t make it anymore. I had to go to the toilet 14 times, I had terrible diarrhea. The toilets were on the first floor and I had to walk down several flights of stairs. I heard men’s voices and I was so terrified. At night, drunken men were running around in our house, but they had never reached the top. Thank God. I shall never forget this terrible night.

We had on the upper floor, a sink and running water. We washed each day, but the scabies did not go away. What about our laundry, I do not know. We had nothing to change into, we only had what we were carrying.

At some point, our camp leader was no longer there, she had left us alone. Perhaps she was also kidnapped, since she was a young woman. And then one day my blanket was gone and I lay on the bare floor. In the meantime, however, I was completely exhausted and apathetic, only lying there on the ground, scratching myself sore from head to foot.

I always looked through the small window at a big tree and suddenly I could remember the poem that my mother had written to my Posie album on my 12th birthday of the last time I saw her. I never liked this poem because I did not understand it. I thought, why does my mother write something odd and hard to understand? And now it was clearly in my head. I still find that so inexplicable and strange. It goes like this:

In happiness, do not be proud
And do not complain in suffering
Carry the inevitable with dignity
Do the right, delight in the beautiful
Love life and do not shy away from death
And firmly believe in God and better future
To live, and rob Death of its bitterness.

(poem from – Adolf Friedrich Carl Streckfuß (1779 – 1844), deutscher Schriftsteller, Übersetzer und Jurist)

I suddenly knew these lines, as if I had memorized them.

I do not know how long I lay there and no longer stood up to wash myself. I was dozing when I heard voices and a girl shook me, “Marianne, your mother is here.” I thought I was dreaming, but my mother was already standing in front of me. A miracle had happened.

After being expelled by the Poles, she also went to Stettin to visit Aunt Emile to see if she was alive. Aunt Emilie asked immediately, “Have you been to Marianne? I’m worried because she does not come anymore.” And so my mother had found me, and wanted to know if I could tell her where my sister was. My mother and my aunt then had to drag me to Aunt Emilie’s home, I could not walk anymore. I looked like the concentration camp prisoners, only skin and bones. The only thing that lived on me was my hair. I had so many lice that the hair all moved. My mother laid a newspaper and I had to bend over it. Then she combed and it just tickled. I went to sleep with my mother in bed. She said I probably would only have lived one more week.



child refugee from stettin


child refugee from stettin
News Clipping about the child refugees

If you are interested in learning more about Child Refugees during and after World War 2 in Germany, here are some books you may want to read.

German Boy: A Child in WarGerman Boy: A Child in WarA Long Silence: Memories of a German Refugee Child, 1941-1958A Long Silence: Memories of a German Refugee Child, 1941-1958Threaten to Undo UsThreaten to Undo Us


This is Marianne Keller’s story auf Deutsch


Ich, Marianne Keller, geb. Kriegbaum, wurde am 12. Januar 1933 in Stettin geboren. Ich besuchte dort die Carl-Loewe-Mädchenschule. 1943 nahmen die Bombenangriffe auf Stettin zu und iele Schulen wurden auf die Insel Rügen evakuiert. Dort war ich in einem KLV-Lage. (Kinder Land Verschickung) und verlebte bis April 1945 eine schöne Kindheit. Neben dem Schulunterricht hatten wir viel Sport, Freizeit in der Natur, Siingen, Theaterspiele und wurden im Sinne unseres Führers Adolf Hitler erzogen.

Ende April 1945 sollten wir nach Dänemark geschickt werden um uns vor den näher kommenden Russen in Sicherheit zu bringen.

Diese Aktion ist aber nicht gelungen und meine Erlebnisse nach der Abreise von Sellin/Rügen habe ich in dem beigefügten Bericht beschreiben.

Mein Mann, Horst Keller, war auch mit seiner Schule auf Rügen evakuiert und hat das Gleiche erlebt. Er ist 1951 nach USA ausgewandert und kam als Besatzungssoldat der US Air Force nach Deutschland zurück. Wir haben 1955 in Wiesbaden geheiratet. Diese Erlebnisse unserer Kindheit haben uns sehr verbunden.

Die beigefügten Bilder sind die Einzigen, die ich habe.



Ich war von 1943-1945 in einem KLV-Lager in Sellin auf Rügen. Am 20. April 1945 haben wir Adolf Hitlers Geburtstag gefeiert mit Fahnen und Liedern und grossem Aufmarsch auf dem Sportplatz. Wir glaubten fest an den Endsieg und die Wunderwaffe V1 und V2. Kurz darauf wurde uns mitgeteilt, dass ein Transport zusammengestellt wird, und uns nach Dänemark bringen sollte. Der Führer wollte, dass wir, die Zukunft Deutschlands, in Sicherheit sind.

Der Zug sollte uns nach Rostock bringen und dann sollten wir mit dem Schiff nach Dänemark gebracht werden. Wir waren so ahnungslos. Wir waren alle im Durchschnitt 12 Jahre alt.

Im Nachhinein habe ich ja dann erfahren, dass schon im Januar der Russe dicht an der oder war und darum hatte ich auch seit Januar keine Post mehr von meiner Mutter, die in Pommern mit meinen zwei kleineren Geschwistern evakuieret war. Von meinem Vater, der an der Ostfront kämpfte, schon lange nicht mehr.

Für uns war es nun ein Abenteuer zu verreisen. Als unser Zug den Rügendamm überquert hatte, blieb er kurz darauf stehen. Einige der älteren Mädchen, ca. 16 Jahre, stiegen aus und nach einer Weile kam ein Mädchen, mit dem ich sehr befreundet war, zu mir ans Fenster uns sagte, „Mariannchen, ich glaube es ist aus, wir haben den Krieg verloren“. Ich kann heute noch die Fassungslosigkeit spüren  die ich damals empfand. Wie konnte sie so etwas sagen. Man konnte sie anzeigen, als Verräterin melden. Sie war doch meine Freundin. Wie konnte sie solche Gedanken haben und auch noch aussprechen? Es hat mich so erschüttert. So fest glabube ich an den Endsieg.

Der Aufenthalt wurde erklärt, dass ein Lazarettzug die Vorfahrt hätte, war wir natürlich verstanden.

Dann ging es langsam weiter und mitten im Wald zwischen Gelbensande und Rövershagen, ich sehe die Schilder heute noch vor meinem Augen, blieb unser Zug wieder stehen. Wir hatten den Befehl, nicht auszusteigen, schauten aber aus dem Fenster was draussen los war. Man spürte Aufregung, Unsicherheit , Angst.

Aber wir waren ja mit unseren Fühererinnen und Lehrerinnen und auf dem Weg nach Dänemark. Adolf Hitler wollte uns in Sicherheit bringen, also keine Angst.

Auf einmal kam mein Cousin, der auch in Sellin in einem KLV-Lager war, an meinem Abteilfenster vorbei. Er war auch auf dem Transport und freute sich, mich gefunden zu haben. Er war 14 Jahre alt und sehr aufgeschlossen und selbstbewusst. Er wollte sich erkundigen was los ist und mir Bescheid geben.

Er kam zurück und sagte uns, dass die Lokomotive weg war, die würde für einen Militärzug gebraucht. Plötzlich kamen die Flugzeuge und beschossen unseren Zug. Es wurde beschlossen, dass wir den Zug verlassen, alles Gepäck bleibt drin und wir flüchten in den Wald. Dort warfen wir uns auf den Boden weil wieder die Flieger kamen und schossen. Auf einmal sah ich lauter Männer in schwarz-weiss-gestreiften Anzügen mit einer Nummer auf dem Rücken, die sich auch versteckten. Ich hatte furchtbare Angst, aber sie taten uns nichts.

Als die Flieger weg waren, sagte unsere Lehrerin wir laufen Richtung Küste, weil der Russe sich näherte. Wir rannten vor lauter Angst los, einer hinter dem anderen her, Angst vor den Russen im Nacken. Meine zusammengerollte Wolldecke(jeder hatte eine bekommen und die durften wir auch mitnehmen)fiel auseinander, ich stolperte und weinte laut, weil ich merkte, wie ich den Anschluss an die anderen verlor.

Plötzlich tauchte mein Cousin neben mir auf. Er sagte:“Marianne, komm mit uns, der Russe kommt wir schlagen uns nach Westen durch. Ich besorge was zu essen, ich beschütze dich, komm mit uns.“

Er war mit zwei anderen Jungen auf der Flucht. Aber ich wollte bei meinen Lagerkameradinnen bleiben. Er versuchte mich zu überreden, aber ich weinte, ich wollte doch mit nach Dänemark.

Da rollte er mir schnell meine Decke zusammen, nahm mich an die Hand und rannte mit mir voran, bis ich wieder bei den anderen Mädels war. Dann verschwand er mit den anderen Jungens im Wald, Richtung Westen. Bevor es dunkel wurde, suchten wir ein Nachtquartier und kehrten in eine Scheune ein. Dort warteten wir  voller Angst auf das, was vielleicht passieren würde. Viele Mädchen weinten und die älteren Mädchen suchten nach Verstecken. Es passierte nichts in der Nacht. Am nächsten Vormittag erreichten wir Gral-Müritz an der Ostseeküste. Aber ein Schiff war nicht in Sicht. Wir zogen in ein Verlassenes Kur-Hotel und jeder suchte sich einen Platz auf dem Boden. Dort sassen wir auf unserer Decke und warteten auf furchtbare Greueltaten  der Russen. Es war ein wunderschöner Tag, warm und sonnig und ich ging in den Garten, und dann sah ich sie kommen.

Während ich dies schreibe, habe ich Herzklopfen wie damals und einen ganz trockenen Hals. Panzer und oben drauf Russen mit Gewehr im Anschlag. Ich sehe den grossen roten Stern vor mir. Ich duckte mich ganz klein hinter einen Strauch und betete, dass sie mich nicht sehen und erschiessen. Als der letzte Panzer vorbei war, lief ich zurück ins Haus, wo alle anderen genauso viel Angst hatten. Etwas später kamen dann die Russen ins Haus uns schauten sich alles an. Ich kann nicht beschreiben, was das für ein Gefühl war. Sie gingen wieder, ohne irgendjemand ein Haar zu krümmen und abends kamen sie wieder mit riesengrossen Kesseln voll Suppe und verteilten Brot an uns. Wir konnten es kaum begreifen, aber die Angst blieb.

Als der Krieg vorbei war, teilten uns die Lehrerinnen mit, dass wir nicht in Gral-Müritz bleiben dürften. Jeder, der nicht anssässig war, sollte dorthin zurückkehren, wo er her kam.

Wir waren alle aus Stettin, also sollten wir nach Stettin zurück. Aber wie dort hinkommen? Damit begann die eigentliche Tragödie dieses „Rettungstransportes“

Wir machten uns auf Richtung Bahnstrecke. Vielleicht kam ja irgendwann ein Zug dort vorbei. Aber erstmal hiess es laufen. Ohne Essen, ohne Trinken. Wo sollte er herkommen? Ich weiss nicht mehr, wie lange wir unterwegs waren. Irgendwann kam tatsächlich ein Güterzug der uns mitnahm in Richtung Stettin. An Durst kann ich mich nicht so richtig erinnern, aber ich habe geweint, weil ich so Hunger hatte. Mein Bauch tat weh und ich wusste nicht wo meine Eltern und Geschwister waren. Aber noch war ich in der Gemeinschaft meiner Lagerkameradinnen. In einem Vorort von Stettin war die Fahrt zuende. Dort am Bahnhof war eine grosse Menschenmenge, sie lagen überall an der Strasse und an den Seiten herum, heimatlos, und hungrig so wie wir. An einer Ecke stand das Rote Kreuz und kochte in grossen Kesseln eine Suppe aus Karoffelschalen und Wasser. Es waren wirklich nur Kartollfelschalen und Wasser, aber alle standen an um etwas zu bekommen. Wer noch nie Hunger hatte, weiss nicht, wie gut sowas schmecken kann.

Unsere Lehrerinnen waren dann nicht mehr da. Eine unserer Lagerführerinnen sagte uns , „ihr wisst ja wo ihr wohnt, versucht dahin zu kommen. Einige Mädchen, die wie ich ausgebombt waren und keine Wohnung mehr hatten, blieben bei ihr und sie führte uns durch die Stadt. Über Trümmer und auf der Suche nach einer Unterkunft.

Auf einmal waren wir in einer Gegend, die mir bekannt vorkam. Eine Tante wohnte dort, die wir oft besucht hatten und ich erinnerte mich an den Weg dort hin, an diese Gegend. Dort gab es eine Anstalt für psychisch Kranke. Und dort ging sie mit uns hin. Die Gebäude waren alle leer und wir suchten uns eins aus, das abseits stand und gingen hoch bis in das letzten Stockwerk.  Dort, unterm Dach, legten wir uns auf den kahlen Boden. Es gab 2 Etagenbetten, aber wir waren noch ca. 10 Mädchen. Nun lagen wir da, der Krieg war zuende aber was war nun mit uns?  Wir haben viel geweint, vor Hunger und Heimweh.

Einige Mädchen machten sich auf um Angehörige zu finden und kamen auch nicht wieder. Die Anstalt befand sich in der Nähe einer Laubenkolonie und wir gingen jeden Tag dort hin und durchsuchten die Lauben nach Essbarem. Es waren auch viele Polen dort und wir hatten immer grosse Angst und versteckten uns. Einmal versteckte ich mich in einem Strohhaufen und als ich so die Gegend betrachtete, wusste ich plötzlich, wie ich gehen musste um das Haus meiner Tante zu finden. Ich machte mich auf und war in der richtigen Strasse. Mein Herz klopfte, als ich klingelte. Lieber Gott, lass sie noch leben, lass sie da sein, ich hatte doch sonst niemand auf der Welt und fühlte mich so alleine. Das Fenster im 1. Stock öffnete sich und das vertraute Gesicht meiner Tante Emilie schaute heraus. Als ich ihren Namen rief, konnte sie es nicht glauben, wer da stand. Ich muss schrecklich ausgesehen haben. Ich musste erstmal erzählen, wo ich herkam, wo die anderen Familienmitglieder sind. Ich wusste nur, dass meine grosse Schwester Mitte April vom KLV-Lager aus nach Lassan bei Anklam in Vorpommern gefahren ist. Mehr wusste ich nicht und sie auch nicht. Wir weinten beider bitterlich. Dann gab sie mir erstmal zu essen und ich wusste wieder wie sichdas anfühlt im Bauch. Ich machte ihr grosse Sorgen und sie erklärte mir, warum ich nicht bei ihr bleiben konnte, obwohl sie sich um mich kümmern wollte. Sie arbeitete die ganze Woche bei den Polen als Köchin und war nur am Sonntag zuhause. Ich wäre also ganz alleine im Haus und oft kommen Polen oder Russen und durchsuchen die Häuser und die würden mich vielleicht mitnehmen und dann weiss keiner mehr, wo ich abgeblieben bin. Sie war ganz traurig, aber ich konnte das verstehen und hätte sowieso Angst gehabt, dort alleine zu sein. Sie sagte mir, ich soll am Sonntag wiederkommen und mich satt essen und sie gibt mir auch Essen mit. Ich war überglücklich und schaffte es durch die Woche. Dann nahm ich meine Freundin mit, die sollte sich auch satt essen. Während der Woche gingen wir durch die Gärten und pflückten grüne, unreife Äpfel, unreife Johannisbeeren, manchmal fanden wir verschimmeltes Brot, auch das wurde gegessen. Mittlerweile hatten wir alle die Krätze und Läuse.

Dann wurde ich schwer krank. Ich erinnere mich, dass ich auf einer Pritsche lag und mir jemand Wadenwickel machte. Ich musste wohl hohes Fieber gehabt haben. Einmal war ich noch bei meiner Tante, dann schaffte ich es nicht mehr. Ich musste in einer Nacht 14 mal auf die Toilette, ich hatte schrecklichen Durchfall. Die Toiletten waren im 1. Stock und ich musste mehrere Treppen runter laufen. Ich höre Männerstimmen und hatte so furchtbare Angst. Nachts liefen immer betrunkene Männer herum, auch in unserm Haus, aber sie waren nie bis ganz nach oben gekommen. Gott sei Dank. Nie werde ich diese furchtbare Nacht vergessen.

Wir hatten auf der oberen Etage ein Waschbecken und fliessendes Wasser. Wir haben uns jeden Tag gewaschen, aber trotzdem ging die Krätze nicht weg. Was mit unserer Wäsche war, weiss ich nicht. Wir hatten doch nur was wir am Leibe trugen, nichts zum wechseln.

Irgendwann war auch unsere Füherin nicht mehr da, sie hat uns da alleine zurück gelassen. Vielleicht wurde sie ja auch verschleppt, sie war eine junge Frau. Und dann war eines Tages auch meine Decke weg und ich lag auf dem blanken Fussboden. Inzwischen war ich aber auch vollkommen entkräftet und apathisch und lag nur noch da am Boden und kratzte mich von Kopf bis Fuss wund.

Ich schaute immer durch das kleine Fenster auf einen grossen Baum und auf einmal konnte ich das Gedicht, welches mir meine Mutter zum 12 Geburtstag, als ich sie das letztemal gesehen hatte, ins Poesiealbum  geschrieben hatte, auswendig aufsagen. Ich mochte dieses Gedicht nie, weil ich es nicht verstanden habe. Ich habe gedacht, warum schreibt meine Mutter sowas komisches, schwer zu verstehendes? Und jetzt war es ganz deutlich in meinem Kopf. Das finde ich heute noch so unerklärlich und seltsam. Es geht so:


Im Glück nicht stolz sein
Und im Leid nicht klagen
Das Unvermeidliche mit Würde tragen
Das Rechte tun, am schönen sich erfreuen
Das Leben lieben und den Tod nicht scheuen
Und fest an Gott und bessere Zukunft glauben
Heißt Leben und dem Tod sein Bittres rauben

(poem from – Adolf Friedrich Carl Streckfuß (1779 – 1844), deutscher Schriftsteller, Übersetzer und Jurist)

Diese Zeilen konnte ich plötzlich, als hätte ich sie auswendig gelernt.

Wie lange ich da gelegen habe und nicht mehr aufgestanden bin um mich zu waschen, weiss ich nicht. Ich dämmerte dahin, als ich Stimmen hörte und ein Mädchen mich schüttelte uns sagte:“Marianne, deine Mutter ist da“. Ich dachte ich träume, aber da stand meine Mutter schon vor mir. Ein Wunder war geschehen.

Nachdem sie von den polen vertrieben waren, ist sie auch nach Stettin zu dieser Tante Emile gegangen, um zu sehen, ob sie lebt. Tante Emilie fragte sofort „warst du schon bei Marianne? Ich mache mir mir Sorgen, weil sie nicht mehr kommt“.

Und so hatte meine Mutter mich gefunden und ich konnte ihr sagen, wo meine Schwester vielleicht ist.

Meine Mutter und meine Tante mussten mich dann zur Tante Emilie schleppen, ich konnte nicht mehr laufen. Ich sag aus wie die KZ-Häftlinge, nur noch Haut und Knochen. Ds einzige, was an mir lebte, waren meine Haare. Ich hatte so viele Läuse, dass sich die Haare alle bewegt haben. Meine Mutter hat eine Zeitung hingelegt und ich musste mich darüber b ücken. Dann hat sie gekämmt und es hat nur so gekakkert. Dnn bin ich mit meiner Mutter zusammen im Bett eingeschlafen. Sie sagte, ich hätte höchstens noch 1 Woche gelebt.



3 thoughts on “Marianne’s Story- A Child Refugee from Stettin Tells her Story

  1. Das ging mir alles sehr nahe. Wir sind auch geflohen von Schneidemuehl nach Stralsund in dem furchtbaren Winter 1944/45 . Spaeter von Stralsund nach Luebeck . Stralsund wird immer meine Heimat bleiben, da wir dort bis ’52 wohnten.. Ich bin schon oft zurueckgeflogen. Obwohl ich schon seit ’59 hier in den USA lebe.

  2. While Marriane’s story was very moving, and tragic – and certainly nothing that a 12 year old child should ever have had to endure – I take exception to her remark to the effect that her emigre husband had joined the USAF in the “American occupation forces,” in 1951.

    While technically accurate, this is an insult to the USA – and to German/Americans who fought in those forces. Its terminology puts the USA on a moral equivalence with the murderous and rapacious Soviets – who did in fact occupy Germany until 1990.

    The US occupation (along with that of the French and the British) technically lasted until 1955, but Germans had been given de facto autonomous government control of Germany in 1949.

    While the Soviets – in their occupation zone – continued their organized campaign of rape and plunder, in 1948, the USA began a massive transfer of food and industrial supplies to the German people, via the Marshall plan.

    In 1948-49 American airmen began a massive and very dangerous airlift to bring coal and food into Soviet-blockaded Berlin, resulting in the deaths of 110 American airmen and the preservation of German autonomy in West Berlin.

    Some “occupation force!”

    The use of that term vis the Americans in Germany in 1951 (when her German emigre husband arrived with the USAF”) is factually incorrect and frankly, insulting to the American people.

    1. What word would you use to describe the American Forces in Germany?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

error: Content is protected !!